We all love winter season and we all love fishing. But it is difficult fishing in winter when the surface of the water is covered with ice. That’s when the cool ice fishing tool ‘ice fishing hand auger’ comes handy. Hand Ice Auger had been and will always be a trusted ice fishing tool. If you live in a country where the surface of the water is covered with ice in the winter yet you love to go fishing, then buying the best hand ice auger is a must for you. With ice auger, you can easily make a hole in the ice and enjoy your time fishing.
You may know that there are mainly two types of ice auger: 1. Power ice auger and 2. Hand/manual ice auger. Today I am going to talk about the best hand ice auger that you should buy if you are into ice fishing. Having a good ice fishing hand auger is important rather than buying cheap and low-quality hand ice auger. Although you can save some money buying a cheap one, it won’t last long and you may eventually end up spending more money by having to buy another one. You should also get a good ice fishing boot because after you are done with cutting the ice and when you pull the ice auger out of the ice, a lot of water splash out. Check out our article on the Best Ice Fishing boot
Why Choose Hand Ice Auger Over Power Auger:
- Economical: You can easily get a decent ice fishing hand auger under 75 dollars. Also, you can get the best hand ice auger on the market under 150 dollars that are very durable and functional. However, getting a good power ice auger can cost you 3-4 times more than a decent hand ice auger. So it is cheaper to buy a hand ice auger than power ice auger.
- Weight: Power hand auger has machine or motor at the top of them. So this makes them heavy. If you travel a lot with your ice auger and fish in a remote area then it may be inconvenient to carry such a bulky power ice auger. However, hand ice augers are lightweight and easy to carry around than other types of ice auger.
- Others: Lower cost and weight are the main advantages a hand ice auger has over power hand auger. But there are also other advantages. The power ice auger has a motor which makes a lot of sounds and vibration when cutting ice. But ice fishing hand auger is very quiet. Also, you don’t need gas or oil in hand ice auger. Last but not the least is the body heat. In this cold weather by using hand ice auger your body can easily warm up and you can enjoy fishing without shivering.
Top 5 Best Hand Ice Auger Reviews:
StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger
Eskimo Silvertip Curved Blade Hand Auger
Strike Master Lazer Hand Auger
Eskimo Standard Hand Auger
Strikemaster Ice Fishing Mora Hand Auger
StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger:
When it comes to the best ice auger, StrikeMaster is the most known and popular company to most ice anglers. The StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger is one of the most premium and high-quality ice fishing hand auger that you can buy. If you have a high budget and willing to get the premium hand ice auger, then you should buy this one.
This hand auger is one of the sharpest, fastest and most powerful yet most lightweight hand auger that I have used. This hand auger has stainless steel Mora ice chrome alloy lazer blades. This makes this ice auger really sharp and easy to cut through ice. For safety, blade cover is included and as the blade is super sharp, always keep the blade cover on the auger except for when in use.
The handle of this hand ice auger has been ergonomically designed and it is pleasant and comfortable to use. This has got an adjustable handle. You can adjust the handle from 48″ to 57″. The shaft and handle of this hand ice auger are made up of metal which makes this rugged and strong.
This auger has ultra-light robust synthetic auger flight and blade carriage with lazer blades which makes the bottom of the auger rugged and durable. And there will be no sudden stops or jam when you are drilling through the ice. With every turn of the handle, this hand ice auger will cut a half inch of the ice. So this is great when you are dealing with 5 to 7 inches thick ice.
What’s inside the box:
- blade cover
You have the option to choose from either 4 inches or 6-inch model. You can easily travel with this ice fishing hand auger as it can be broken into two pieces for storage. To be honest, StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger is the lightest hand ice auger I have ever seen. Both the models only weighs total 5 lb each. If you travel a lot for fishing then this hand ice auger is perfect for you.
Overall, the ultra-lightweight, super sharp blade and ergonomic and study design forced us to keep this ice auger on the list of our best hand ice auger reviews. We have reviewed the 6-inch model but if you wish to check out the 4-inch model Click Here.
- Made up of synthetic composite which makes this ultra-lightweight yet durable
- Super sharp mora ice razer blades
- Rugged yet convenient and easy to cut ice
- Super premium and high quality and perfect for traveling
- The most lightweight hand auger for ice fishing that I have used and it is easy to change places with this ultra-lightweight auger
- Some people may find it expensive. But you have to keep in mind that this is a high-quality premium ice hand auger and every penny spent is worth it
- To extend the life of this hand ice auger, you should dry and oil it after use
Eskimo Silvertip Curved Blade Hand Auger:
Eskimo is also a well-established and popular brand like StrikeMaster among the ice fishermen. They have always provided us with cool and extraordinary ice fishing equipment.
Eskimo Silvertip Auger is their top of the line hand ice auger. This is a premium quality ice auger like StrikeMaster’s Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger. However, this ice auger costs less than StrikeMaster’s hand auger and is affordable.
First, let’s talk about the blade. The blades are built from high carbon martensitic stainless steel. This is sometimes used for blades of the knife. For durability and sturdiness, the blade goes through further heat treatment. The CNC ground curve blade means you don’t have to use a lot of force to cut the ice. By turning the handle and with minimum force, you can easily make a hole in the ice.
The height of the handle is adjustable. You can adjust the handle from 49″ to 58″. The e-coated handle is corrosion resistant which makes it perfect for saltwater. You will get more grip and more power thanks to its pommel handle design. You have the option to buy either 6 inches or 8 inches model.
This is a two piece hand ice auger. So this makes this easy and convenient for storage and traveling. You are getting a nice looking red color ice fishing hand auger and the blades of this auger are also replaceable. This hand ice auger for fishing weighs only 7lb which makes this super convenient for traveling.
Why buy Eskimo over StrikeMaster:
This is a premium high-quality ice hand auger. There are some reasons to buy this rather than StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger.
The first reason is that this is affordable and cheaper that StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger.
The second reason is the size. If you want a large size diameter then Eskimo Silvertip Auger has 8-inch size but the StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Ice Auger has only 4-inch and 6-inch size available.
However, if price and size are not a factor to you, then you should definitely go for the StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger.
Overall, this ice auger is very durable, has sharp blades that make it easy to cut ice and it is also lightweight.
Personally, I think under 100 dollars Eskimo Silvertip Hand Auger is one of the best hand ice auger in the premium section yet affordable and reasonably priced.
Strike Master Lazer Hand Auger:
StrikeMaster Lazer Hand Auger is pretty much similar to StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger. However, StrikeMaster Lazer Hand Auger has much more favorable reviews than the Synthetic one.
Also, people prefer to buy this one because it is cheaper than the StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger.
It features stainless steel chrome alloy lazer blades. These blades are extremely sharp and can easily drill large ice. The color of this auger is black and ice won’t build up due to its powder coated paint.
This hand ice auger has soft rubber grips for comfort and the design of the handle system is user-friendly. The handle is also adjustable that adjusts from 48 inches to 57 inches.
There are five sizes available from 4-inches all the way to 8-inches in diameter. So you should grab the one that suits your ice environment.
Although these are not as lightweight as StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger. however these pretty much weights less than other hand ice augers. The smallest 4-inch weighing only 5.5lb to the largest 8-inch weighing 8.5lb.
You can easily replace the blade if they become dull or blunt. Overall, this is a great ice fishing hand auger that has made its place to the list of our best hand ice auger reviews.
Why buy StrikeMaster Lazer over StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic:
First of all, the Lazer costs way less than the Lazer Synthetic. Also, you are getting almost the same premium design and features as the Lazer Synthetic with lower cost. Secondly, you can buy your preferred size from 4 inches in diameter to 8 inches diameter. Whereas the Lazer Synthetic offers only 4-inch and 6-inch size diameter.
Personally, I would prefer the Lazer Synthetic over Lazer if the price and size are not a matter. Only because the StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger has synthetic auger flight and blade carriage which provides more durability and extends the life of the ice auger.
- This is an affordable hand ice auger yet offers premium quality
- The lazer blades are super sharp and easily and quickly cuts through thick ice
- Durable and sturdy piece of ice drilling tool for ice fishing
- The blade guard sometimes pops out. So be careful while carrying around
- In rare cases, the auger hangs up at the very bottom of the hole
Eskimo Standard Hand Auger:
Again the company Eskimo has made it to our list of best hand ice auger reviews. Good news for the people who are on a tight budget yet need a decent ice fishing hand auger. This Eskimo Standard Hand Auger is pretty cheap yet it is a durable, sturdy and high-quality piece of the ice fishing drilling tool. This is a perfect affordable tool for late or early season ice fishing anglers.
This hand ice auger is equipped with stainless steel dual flat quantum blades which are pretty sharp to get the job done. The two-piece pommel design of the handle provides comfortable palm and hand grip. This hand auger is coated with Eskimo’s red powder which provides durability and looks good.
This is a two piece hand ice auger with Eskimo’s crossbolt fastener This provides easy assembly and disassembly with just a twist of the knob. Eskimo Standard Hand Auger offer handle adjustment from 49″ to 58″. It also includes blade protector to extend the life of the blade.
You also have the option to choose from 6-inch, 7-inch, and 8-inch diameter. The 6-inch model weighs 6.5lb and the 8-inch model weighs 7.5lb which is light enough to carry around. Looking at the price which is around 50 dollars, this is the best hand ice auger that you can buy if you have a low budget yet want to buy a decent ice fishing hand auger.
- Eskimo Standard Hand Auger is an affordable and cheap ice drilling tool that is priced correctly
- It is easy to use and the blades are sharp to get the job done
- The Auger is light enough for traveling and it is also a two-piece auger which is great for storage
- The build quality of the plastic handle is not so strong and it may break. But if you put correct pressure and use it carefully, it will last longer.
- You should not use this roughly as the blade is not that great and don’t push this auger out of limit by using it more than it can hold. Also remember, you are getting a lot from this ice fishing hand auger than what you paid for.
Strikemaster Ice Fishing Mora Hand Auger:
Just like Eskimo’s affordable budget standard hand auger, StrikeMaster also strikes with their budget oriented ice fishing hand auger. If you have come this further, then you might notice that a fight is going on between Eskimo and StrikeMaster. StrikeMaster is really bringing hand drilling out of the dark ages and offering us with exiting cool ice fishing tools at every price sector.
This hand auger features carbon steel 51200 high alloy Mora blades that are efficient and effective in cutting ice. These sharp blades offer more performance than other brand’s ice hand auger. It has got a nice blue color and the paint is powder coated which makes this auger more durable and reduces ice buildup.
This is a two piece ice auger that breaks down for easy storage and can be easily carried while traveling. The adjustable handles adjust from 48″ to 58″. The handles are ergonomically designed with a cushioned top knob for better and comfortable grip.
This ice fishing hand auger is available in 4 different sizes from 5-inch to 8-inch diameter. The 5-inch and 6-inch model weighs only 6 lb and the 8-inch model weighs 8 lb. The weight seems to be better than other hand augers in this price sector and can be easily carried while traveling.
Like Eskimo Standard Hand Auger, this hand ice auger is also priced around 50 dollars. According to StrikeMaster, this StrikeMaster Mora Hand Ice Auger is the number 1 selling hand auger. The main reason is the price and the great build quality. I personally think that StrikeMaster Mora Hand Ice Auger is one of the best ice hand auger for the price.
- The price makes this number 1 selling hand auger for ice fishing
- Great design with solid construction
- It is a lightweight yet durable and affordable ice fishing hand auger
- Great affordable entry-level hand auger
- The handle is not well built and not rugged
- It does not perform well in thick ice. However, you should not expect much from a cheap and affordable hand auger for ice fishing
The invention of hand auger for ice fishing has made our ice fishing life easy. To be honest, the constant innovation from StrikeMaster and Eskimo has made our ice fishing easier than ever. Ice fishing hand auger is the most reliable, convenient and trusted auger among the ice fishing angler due to its lightweight and affordable price.
You may have noticed that we have only reviewed ice fishing hand auger from StrikeMaster and Eskimo. The reason is that they actually offer the best quality hand ice auger for fishing that others can’t compete with.
If your price and the size of diameter is not a fact, then you should buy “StrikeMaster Lazer Synthetic Hand Auger”. If you want to save some money then go for either “Eskimo Silvertip Auger” or “Strike Master Lazer Hand Auger. Both of them are great ice fishing hand auger.
However, if you are on a low budget and don’t want to spend much on your first “hand ice auger”, then you should buy either “Eskimo Standard Hand Auger” or “Strikemaster Mora Hand Ice Auger” According to your budget and preference, you should choose any hand auger from our top 5 best ice hand auger reviews list and you won’t regret your purchase decision.